How to set up Outlook to wirelessly synchronize your contacts and calendar with a BlackBerry Z10 smartphone
Do you use Microsoft Outlook 2010, 2007 or 2003 to store your contacts and calendar on your computer and want to wirelessly synchronize these items with your BlackBerry Z10, but your email provider doesn’t support these features? If so, today I’d like to show you how to you can sync these items wirelessly between your BlackBerry Z10 and Outlook using Outlook.com and the Microsoft Outlook Connector.
We’ll use your existing Microsoft account or connect Outlook with your BlackBerry Z10 using the new Outlook.com service from Microsoft. The reason for doing this is simple as well; these accounts support wireless synchronization with your BlackBerry Z10. Since Outlook makes it easy to manage multiple accounts, you can enjoy the benefits of wireless synchronization with your email provider as well as wireless synchronization of your contacts and calendar.
Before we begin, a very important note! Please ensure you perform a backup of your Outlook data using Microsoft Outlook and your BlackBerry Z10 smartphone using BlackBerry Link before proceeding.
Do you have a Microsoft account?
If you already have an account with Outlook.com, Hotmail or Windows Live, skip to the next step or optionally create a new account.
For those that don’t have a Microsoft account and use a different email provider in Outlook on your computer that does not support wireless synchronization of your contacts and calendar, register for a new Outlook.com account (or Hotmail or Windows Live if desired).
Tip: Within this post you’ll see me use the term PIM which represents your contacts and calendar
Download and install the Microsoft Outlook Connector
Provided you have a Microsoft account and Outlook installed on your computer, the next step is installing the Microsoft Outlook Hotmail Connector (this tool supports Outlook.com and Live accounts as well). Depending on which version of Microsoft Office you are using, the 32-bit or 64-bit edition, click one of the following links and follow the instructions to download and install the Outlook Hotmail Connector on your computer. If you aren’t sure which version of Microsoft Outlook you are using, try the 32-bit version first.
Add your account to Outlook
After installing the connector software, follow the steps below to add your account to Outlook 2010. If you are using Outlook 2007 or 2003, the steps are similar but if you need additional assistance on adding a new account, search the Outlook help file.
- Open Outlook 2010
- If a dialog appears stating “Would you like to add a Hotmail account” click Yes. If not, skip to next step.
- Enter your name, email address and password
- Optionally name the account by clicking Advanced and entering a name
- Click Ok
- If you do not get prompted to add a new account, click File followed by +Add Account
- Ensure E-mail Account is selected and enter your name, email address and password
- Click Next followed by Finish
Setting up Outlook for wireless synchronization
Since you have added the new account to Outlook, you’ll notice that two accounts appear now when viewing your email, contacts and calendar. Since Outlook makes it easy to manage multiple accounts, the next step is copying your existing contacts and calendar data that is stored in Outlook on your computer, to the new account equivalents that appear within Outlook.
After doing this, your contacts and calendar will synchronize automatically with your Microsoft account and the only change you need you to make is use these new equivalents in Outlook going forward when you are on your computer.
Note: The Microsoft Outlook Connector does not support contact image synchronization.
If you need help copying your contacts or calendar data, review the Outlook Help file (press F1 on your keyboard to access it) as well as some of the tips I’ve listed below.
- Contacts – Switch your local Contacts view to List and use the Select All option (Keyboard shortcut: CTRL + A) followed by copying and pasting the Contacts entry to your new Outlook.com, Hotmail or Live account
- Calendar – Repeat the same steps using the List view
Add your Outlook account to your BlackBerry Z10
After copying your contacts and calendar data from your local account to your new Microsoft account within Outlook, all that’s left to do is use the Add Account option on your BlackBerry Z10 and you’ll be able to wirelessly synchronize your contacts and calendar between Outlook and your smartphone.
To add the new account, follow the steps below or watch the BlackBerry Account Setup How To Demo for more information.
- Swipe down from the top of the Home screen on your BlackBerry Z10
- Tap Accounts
- If you have not setup any accounts yet, tap Email, Calendar and Contacts
- If you have already setup other accounts, tap Add Account
- Follow the instructions and enter your Outlook.com, Hotmail or Live login details
- When prompted, verify that Sync Contacts & Sync Calendar are set to On
- You contacts and calendar will now synchronize over the air wirelessly
To learn about a feature on your BlackBerry 10 smartphone or troubleshoot an issue, there are several great options available to help. Visit http://www.blackberry.com/support for access to product manuals, how-to demos, tips and tricks, YouTube videos, support forums, knowledge base articles, Twitter support, and contact information for your region.
via : blackberryHelp